|Adolf Hitler claimed he was decimating Europe in order to usher in 1,000 years of peace on earth. Pol Pot died saying his conscience was clear. John Wilkes Booth thought himself a patriot, whose only wrong was in "serving a degenerate people." The murderous Crusades were fought by the Catholic church. Often, men do evil believing themselves to be doing good, or even God's will. Which brings us to the latest in the long line of deluded historical miscreants:
WASHINGTON (AFP) — George W. Bush hopes history will see him as a president who liberated millions of Iraqis and Afghans, who worked towards peace and who never sold his soul for political ends.
"I'd like to be a president (known) as somebody who liberated 50 million people and helped achieve peace," Bush said in excerpts of a recent interview released by the White House Friday.
"I would like to be a person remembered as a person who, first and foremost, did not sell his soul in order to accommodate the political process. I came to Washington with a set of values, and I'm leaving with the same set of values."
He also said he wanted to be seen as a president who helped individuals, "that rallied people to serve their neighbor; that led an effort to help relieve HIV/AIDS and malaria on places like the continent of Africa; that helped elderly people get prescription drugs and Medicare as a part of the basic package."
Bush added that every day during his eight-year presidency he had consulted the Bible and drawn comfort from his faith.
"I would advise politicians, however, to be careful about faith in the public arena," the US leader said in the interview with his sister Doro Bush Koch recorded as part of an oral history program known as Storycorps.
Keep dreaming, Georgie. And praying. For now, it appears that rather than seeing you as the Great Liberator, history will judge you as America's worst president ever
, and a man who:
Not sure what God can do about any of that.
- Squandered the world's good will after 9/11, and his own country's, by politicizing the tragedy.
- Invaded and occupied a country that did not threaten the United States, costing the lives of some 5,000 Western troops, and countless Iraqi lives.
- Destroyed his country's military.
- Returned Afghanistan to war-torn disaster, while doing no better there than the Soviets did in the 1980s, while failing to capture or kill Osama bin Laden.
- Turned the United States into a practitioner of torture.
- Created an American gulag at Guantanamo Bay, while producing no significant prosecutions related to the 9/11 terror attacks.
- Turned the nation's spying infrastructure on its own citizens.
- Raised a private, mercenary Army of contractors who ran roughshod through Iraq, destroying American credibility and endangering both Iraqi and American lives.
- Banrupted the United States, taking our economy from the surplus he inherited from President Clinton to the largest deficits in our history.
- Presided over the largest increases in domestic spending in history.
- Presided over a near criminal bailout of Wall Street, that amounts to the largest transfer of wealth from the middle class and working class to the rich since the Robber Barons.
- Watched as his party became a criminal gang operating out of the White House, K Street and Capitol Hill.
- Turned the American presidency into a laughing stock.
- Turned the United States into a rogue nation and international pariah.
- Failed utterly in his role as communicator in chief.
- Empowered the forces of religious intolerance in the U.S., to the detriment of the now utterly politicized Christian faith.
- And the least of his sins, destroying the Republican Party's brand, perhaps for a generation.
Labels: George W. Bush, Iraq, worst president ever