First it’s the head of the NFL Player’s Union, (and several past and current players themselves) and now, Al Sharpton is throwing his weight behind the push to bar Rush Limbaugh from the NFL owners’ fraternity. Here we go …
Al Sharpton, the president of the National Action Network, urged the N.F.L. on Monday to reject conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh’s potential bid to buy the St. Louis Rams and asked for a meeting with N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell. It’s the latest indication of the brushfire Limbaugh’s involvement in the bid has caused, months before N.F.L. owners are likely to consider a new ownership group for the Rams.
In a letter, Sharpton asked the N.F.L. to reject Limbaugh because he would be bad for the league. Goodell will respond to the letter when he gets it, the league spokesman Greg Aiello said. Goodell is currently in Boston for three days of owners meetings.
Limbaugh taped an interview for the “Today” show that will appear Tuesday and Wednesday, in which he said the attention generated by his attempt to buy the Rams shows that his detractors want to pigeonhole him.
“They’re just gonna go nuts,” Limbaugh said of his detractors, according to a written account of the interview on MSNBC.com. “This is the kind of stuff they’ve been trying to make sure doesn’t happen with me. All this stuff is the mainstreaming of Rush Limbaugh from off this far-right fringe they’ve tried to put me. I just keep tiptoeing into the mainstream. And it just irritates them.”
And did I mention that the Checketts-Limbaugh bid is being handled by Goldman Sachs? Talk about throwing in with the bad guys… And guess who else is part of the Rush Limbaugh roadshow — offering further proof that his bombast is rooted in a lot of things, none of them related to principle — if you guessed George Soros, gold star for you!
Meanwhile, Rush’s biggest defender emerges: and it’s Stephen A. Smith? And Limbaugh puts his PR drive into overdrive, appearng on the “Today Show” where he claims that aw, shucks, folks, he’s just lying to his audience for money, and then trying to convince his dittoheads (or is it the NFL owners?) that he’s “colorblind”…
Oh, break out the violins! You think maybe El Rushbo is afraid that his loud mouthed race-baiting is about to cost him his dream? Poor baby. Oh, and remember when our “colorblind” lovable fuzz ball said this stuff...
We need to go back to the days of segregated buses … !
And of course, these oldies but goodies:
1. I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.
2. You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.
3. Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?
4. Right. So you go into Darfur and you go into South Africa, you get rid of the white government there. You put sanctions on them. You stand behind Nelson Mandela — who was bankrolled by communists for a time, had the support of certain communist leaders. You go to Ethiopia. You do the same thing.
5. Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.
6. The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.
7. They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?
8. Take that bone out of your nose and call me back (to an African American female caller).
and the classic:
9. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They’re interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there’s a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn’t deserve.
10. Limbaugh attacks on Obama. Limbaugh has called Obama a ‘halfrican American’ has said that Obama was not black but Arab because Kenya is an Arab region, even though Arabs are less than one percent of Kenya. Since mainstream America has become more accepting of African-Americans, Limbaugh has decided to play against its new racial fears, Arabs and Muslims. Despite the fact Obama graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law school, Limbaugh has called him an ‘affirmative action candidate.’ Limbaugh even has repeatedly played a song on his radio show ‘Barack the Magic Negro’ using an antiquated Jim Crow era term for black a man who many Americans are supporting for president. Way to go Rush.