…by trying to send a Lynch(burg) mob to his home? It seems, from this Politico story, that Rep. Tom Perriello, who voted for historic healthcare reform, was saved by the sheer stupidity of a tea party member who got his address wrong. But had some tea partiers actually showed up, Mr. Perriello’s brother and his brother’s family could have been put in danger. Recall that these people often carry guns. This is getting serious, folks.
Read this: An open letter to conservatives
Meanwhile, a new Harris poll inspired by John Avlon’s forthcoming book Wingnuts shows the extent to which the Republican Party, including its tea party base, is becoming the party of birthers, racists, religious extremists and low-information nutters.
Obama Derangement Syndrome—pathological hatred of the president posing as patriotism—has infected the Republican Party. Here’s new data to prove it:
- 67 percent of Republicans (and 40 percent of Americans overall) believe that Obama is a socialist.
- 57 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim
- 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was “not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president”
- 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is “doing many of the things that Hitler did”
- Scariest of all, 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama “may be the Antichrist.”
The poll surveyed 2,230 people at the height of the healthcare debate, and also found that the less educated were more likely to be afflicted with ODS. And as Avlon writes at TDB:
It demonstrates the cost of the campaign of fear and hate that has been pumped up in the service of hyper-partisanship over the past 15 months. We are playing with dynamite by demonizing our president and dividing the United States in the process. What might be good for ratings is bad for the country.
… The full results of the poll, which will be released in greater detail tomorrow, are even more frightening: including news that high percentages of Republicans—and Americans overall—believe that President Obama is “racist,” “anti-American” “wants the terrorists to win” and “wants to turn over the sovereignty of the United States to a one-world government.” The “Hatriot” belief that Obama is a “domestic enemy” as set forth in the Constitution is also widely held—a sign of trouble yet to come. It’s the same claim made by Marine Lance Corporal Kody Brittingham in his letter of intent to assassinate the President Obama.
We’ve entered scary territory, folks.